Friday, February 4, 2011

It's all about the learning

I never thought I'd wind up homeschooling my daughter, C.  In fact, I can vividly remember attending a moms' club meeting back when C was just a toddler, and listening to a school district guy talking about homeschooling as a great educational alternative.  I listened, and sure, it seemed like a reasonable alternative for some people ... not just me.

Flash forward to two years ago, when 13-year old C was miserable at school.  She has Aspergers Syndrome, so the world of school and its social life and smells and sounds and the ever-present crowdedness of it all hasn't been the easiest one for her.  But she started truly suffering, and the decision to explore an alternative educational path for her has taken us all on a journey I'd never have anticipated.  I've decided to write about it here, because I've already learned so much... and I'm learning more every day.

And I thought homeschooling would be about C's learning!

So, an introduction of the cast of characters:  There's me,  Diane.  I'm a work-from-home, part time lawyer and fiber artist, although luckily enough my work situation is flexible enough that I can turn work away when life gets too busy ... and with homeschooling entering our lives, I've not worked all that much lately.  There's my husband, a college professor at a local community college.  And there is C, a beautiful, creative, funny teenager who just isn't cut out for the typical school setting.  We've learned that the hard way, I might add.  Husband is off at school most days, so C and I are home with a rambunctious lab mix dog and two cats. 

Husband and I have really re-defined our goals as C has gotten older and we've gotten further down the educational path.  We used to worry about test scores and grades and "fitting in" and college entrance exams some day.  Now, we aim for having a happy, well-adjusted and emotionally secure daughter who enjoys the learning process.  And we are all happier and, I'm delighted to see, the learning that is taking place feels so much deeper.

But more details on all of that later.  I look forward to sharing my journey with you and hope, if you are homeschooling or the parent of a child with Aspergers, that you'll share your experiences here too.

1 comment: