Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Notebooking Pages

There are so many resources for homeschooling families on the Internet. I start looking at one thing, and then I follow a link, or two, or seven, and along the way I discover all sorts of tools I hadn't known about. 

Here's one I've just found.  I've not used it yet, but I'm interested in the resources it provides.  It's called NotebookingPages.com.  The idea is that you and your child use pages (sort of like scrapbook pages, really) to keep track of what they're learning.  The pages provide a framework for organizing basic information about a person or place or event.  And there is (or can be) creativity in making one's own page or even filling in a pre-designed page.

It looks like there are some potentially helpful suggestions on how to use notebooking to facilitate learning.  I"m thinking this looks like it'd be very useful for younger kids -- it reminds me of something I once saw demonstrated at a local Waldorf school where teachers showed how the kids built their own textbooks as they learned.  I can see there might be some useful applications for older kids, too.  I think C would be turned off by anything that looks too canned or repetitive or is reminiscent of filling out useless worksheets. 

But I like the idea.  And having some prepared notebook pages could come in handy. Hmmm, maybe those art and composer ones would be good for an easy way to frame art and music appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment